Smartphone usage has increased over time, and it is now the most used device to surf the internet. Among smartphones, the most popular operating system used around the world is Android. If you’re also an Android user and use your smartphone to browse the internet, this article is for you. While you may be reading an interesting article or are looking for something over the internet, sometimes you may encounter annoying popup ads on your Android browser that you want to stop immediately. Pop-ups are annoying and make the user’s browsing experience ugly by blocking the view, forcing redirects, or opening tabs automatically. It’s time you bring this to an end!
No method of blocking pop-ups is 100 percent foolproof, but you can still avoid most of the digital nonsense by following the ‘right’ security practices. If you follow the required security practices, you can prevent most of the browser pop-ups by doing a few things in your web browser settings. Are you facing such a problem on your browser? Continue reading the article and follow the steps for your respective browser then.
Disable Pop-ups in Google Chrome
If you are a user that use Google Chrome as your default browser to surf the internet and are facing pop-up issues, follow these steps:
1. Launch the Chrome browser on your Android phone and then tap the More icon (the three vertical dots) at the top-right corner of your phone screen.
2. Now tap Settings and then scroll down to select the Site settings option.
3. In the Site settings, tap Pop-Ups to turn on or off the pop-ups option using the available slider.
4. If the pop-ups are enabled, touch the slider button to disable them.
This method is to block pop-ups on the Chrome browser in Android phones, and it should work in all phones irrespective of the Android version.
Stop Popup Ads on Android Mi Browser
1. Launch the default browser (here MI Browser) on your device and tap the Profile icon at the bottom-right of the phone screen.
2. Now tap the settings icon next to your name and then select Advanced, as shown in the following image
3. Find the Block pop-ups option by scrolling down and turn the toggle switch on to stop the popup ads on your Android.
If you use the default browser available on some other device, then find the option to block the pop-ups similarly by going to the advanced settings within that browser.
Stop Popup Ads Using Other Android Browser
If you are looking for some more aggressive pop-up or advertisement blocking on your Android phone, then you will need to use a third-party web browser. Go to the Google Playstore and search for “Ghostery” in the search bar. From the search results, install the Ghostery Privacy Browser or click here to install it directly. This browser, as the name suggests, shows you the types of trackers available on the website and gives you the ability to block them. Follow the steps to block Pop-ups using the Ghostery browser:
1. First, select the Settings cog.
2. Now tap the Block Pop-ups from the available options.
To go for the most aggressive blocking option, you can go to Ghostery > Tracker Blocking Options and then select Block Everything.
With this, there is a less chance of ads popping up on your browser that ruin your browsing experience.
There are many other browsers that offer the option to block pesky ads and pop-ups too. But, Ghostery has the reputation of blocking the pop-up ads and trackers aggressively.
Scan For Malware on Android
If your device is still showing pop-ups after following the above steps, you may need to run a malware scan on your phone. So if you are a user that has installed apps from outside the Google Playstore, then there are chances that your Android may have got affected with malware. Install some malware scanner or antivirus on your Android phone if it is acting funny or causing you troubles by loading pop-ups all the time. Want to read more on this? Then we recommend you to read our article on how to remove malware on Android, where we talk in detail about the procedure and malware scanners.